Bachelor of Science in Network Operations and Security
The demand is high for network operations and security professionals. With WGU’s online bachelor’s degree in network operations and security, you’ll gain the additional credentials you need to turn that demand into career success. Designed for IT professionals seeking to use their network experience and knowledge of the cloud to become network administration and IT security management experts, this program also includes many sought-after industry certifications.
Earning your B.S. Network Operations and Security degree will set your IT career in motion. This program will help you develop the latest network design, network operations, and security management skills.
We won’t waste your time. You don’t need to rehash things you already know. WGU’s innovative learning model allows you to prove your existing skills and knowledge so you can move quickly through the subjects you’ve already mastered, giving you time to focus on what you still need to learn. Learn more about WGU’s competency-based model here.
Who the Program is For:
- Established IT professionals seeking a bachelor's degree and certifications needed to advance their careers and become network and IT security experts.
- IT professionals with aspirations to work in careers like network administrator, network security analyst, computer and information systems manager, and more.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework, have earned high-level IT certifications, and/or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals planning to continue into master’s-level programs in IT security or network administration.
- Tech-savvy, self-motivated students with strong skills in problem solving, decision making, collaboration and teamwork, writing, research, conflict management, and big-picture thinking.
Plan to work hard. Our most successful students spend at least 20 hours a week on their studies. Your own study schedule will be flexible, but this is a rigorous program. You should be self-motivated and prepared to commit fully to your studies. Click here to learn how this program works.
What You'll Learn
Essential Knowledge and Skills
The growing digital transformation of business functions has led to a sharp increase in demand for skilled professionals trained to manage and administer network and security systems. WGU’s online Bachelor of Science Network Operations and Security degree program was designed to prepare you for a successful career in the fast-paced, ever-changing world of network operations and security, and ensure you learn best practices in network design, administration and security, as well as cloud fundamentals, IT service management, and project management.
This program consists of 123 competency units (CUs, the WGU equivalent to the traditional credit hour), including a capstone project. Most students begin their program with some IT experience, and students who have taken college courses or received a degree from another university may be able to transfer credits, significantly shortening the time to graduation. An evaluation of your transcripts from prior colleges will be needed to determine whether you will be able to apply transfer credits toward your WGU degree program.
Key Subject Areas
These Courses Add to Your Credentials
Information Technology Fundamentals
Business of IT
Network and Security
Scripting and Programming
Leadership and Management
Interconnecting Network Devices
Core Subject Areas
These lower-division courses may be cleared through transfer credit:
Introduction to Communication
English Composition I and II
Critical Thinking and Logic
Introduction to Geography
Intermediate and College Algebra
Introduction to Probability and Statistics
Introduction to Humanities
Introduction to Biology
Natural Science Lab
Integrated Physical Sciences
What You'll Earn
This program incorporates multiple industry-recognized certifications, giving you a competitive advantage in the real-world job market. You will study for and complete the following certification exams at no extra cost:
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Cloud Essentials
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA IT Operations Specialist
- CompTIA Secure Infrastructure Specialist
- Axelos ITIL Foundation
- LPI Linux Essentials
- CIW Site Development Associate (CIW-SDA)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate – Security (CCNA Security)
- Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA)
- Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT)
Note: Your current IT certifications may waive some required courses in your degree program. Click here to see which IT certifications may transfer to WGU. Contact an Enrollment Counselor with any questions.
The B.S. Network Operations and Security program culminates in a capstone project. The capstone project allows you to take what you've learned and showcase your knowledge by solving a significant, real-world business problem.