A Degree-Granting University in Missouri
WGU Missouri’s principal mission is to expand access to affordable higher education for Missouri residents through online, competency-based degree programs that address key workforce needs.
WGU Missouri Governance
WGU Missouri is the only state-endorsed university that operates entirely online. As a private, nonprofit institution established by the state of Missouri, WGU Missouri works in partnership with our parent institution, Western Governors University. WGU Missouri is led by Chancellor Angie Besendorfer and an Advisory Board who reside in Missouri and provide guidance on the most effective ways the university can meet the needs of Missouri residents.
WGU Missouri Advisory Board
- Mike Fulton, Superintendent, Pattonville School District
- Janelle Lee, Vice President, Human Resources and Organizational Development, Mosaic Life Care
- Cynthia Mercer, Senior Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, Mercy
- Brent McCoy, Vice President, Business development & Commercial Lending, OakStar Bank
- Michael McMillian, President and CEO, Urban League of Metropolitan St. Louis, Inc.
- Tony Myers, Director of Human Services, US Tool Group
- Mike Nietzel, Deputy Department Director, Missouri Department of Mental Health
- Ruth Stricklen Pullins, Chief Human Resources Officer, Truman Medical Centers
- David R. Russell, Commissioner of Higher Education (Ret.), Interim Chief of Staff, University of Missouri
- Liz Thiel, Senior Director, Senior Director, Workforce Architecture & Health Clinic Operations, Cerner Corporation
WGU Missouri operates under the same governance as that of its parent institution, WGU: a Board of Trustees consisting of educators, industry leaders, and state governors.
National Advisory Board
Another crucial source of support is our National Advisory Board, made up of representatives from prestigious corporations and foundations. Members provide ongoing support and advice to the university.
Academic Program Governance
WGU Missouri’s curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services are provided by our parent institution, Western Governors University. WGU’s skilled administration and faculty work with industry councils consisting of academic and industry experts to produce comprehensive and superior degree programs.
Health Professions Program Council
Nursing Advisory Council
General Education Council
Business Program Council
Information Technology Program Council
Education Program Council