Our online Master of Science in Accounting program, also referred to as the Master of Accounting (MAcc), will give you the required knowledge and skills to prepare you for a successful career in public and private accounting. This program will help prepare you for the CPA exam and allows qualified students to meet the 150 semester hours required to sit for the CPA exam in most states.* The program will also help prepare you for other professional exams such as the Certified Management Accounting (CMA) exam and the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) exam.
*Requirements for CPA licensure vary by state.
This program focuses not only on the technical and analytical skills necessary for accounting positions, but also incorporates critical communication and strategic skills required in today’s fast changing world. You will learn to assess complex transactions and determine the proper treatment of those transactions in conformance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). You will also learn advanced auditing skills to be able to enhance internal controls of an organization and identify material weaknesses in those controls. You will develop and be able to apply advanced managerial accounting techniques in real-world situations as well as become familiar with the accounting for governmental and nonprofit organizations.
At the end of this program, you will have gained necessary analytical skills to address complex financial information and make appropriate recommendations to management.
Who the program is for:
- Individuals needing additional academic preparation to help sit for the CPA, CMA or CIA exam.
- Experienced accounting professionals seeking upward career mobility who need the credentials and additional expertise to do so.
- Individuals who already have a knowledge base in accounting seeking to gain a competitive advantage by deepening their accounting knowledge and broadening their communication, strategic, and analytical skills.
Your Program of Study
In this online accounting degree program, you’ll acquire essential skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in the field. This program includes the following areas of study.
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Management Communication
- Advanced Managerial Accounting
- Advanced Auditing
- Financial Management
- Advanced Tax Concepts
- Fraud and Forensic Accounting
- Strategic Management
- Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting
- Accounting Research
Total Program: 30 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $3,250 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Missouri, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours) 8 CUs is the minimum for graduate students as well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Missouri state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Missouri, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Missouri Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Missouri, WGU Missouri leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in accounting and related subject areas.
As a WGU Missouri student, you'll receive a top-notch master's education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Missouri program.
- Online communities from Missouri and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Missouri and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Missouri higher education, at WGU Missouri you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Missouri is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard Time to Completion: 1.5 to 2 years.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Missouri Admission Process
To enroll in a WGU Missouri online master's degree program, you must:
- Be a Missouri resident and provide proof of residence.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in accounting from a regionally or nationally accredited college or university.