The Online University for Missouri
WGU Missouri is a nonprofit, online university designed to expand access to higher education for Missouri residents. Established by the state of Missouri through a partnership with nationally recognized Western Governors University, WGU Missouri offers more than 50 accredited undergraduate and graduate degree programs in high-demand career fields.
WGU Missouri expands access to higher education for adult learners by providing:
- Access to quality education. An online, state-endorsed university, WGU Missouri makes challenging, nationally recognized degree programs available to Missouri residents who are not able to attend traditional colleges and universities.
- Career-focused bachelor's and master's degrees. WGU Missouri offers accredited degree programs in business, information technology, teacher education, and health professions (including nursing) that are relevant to the needs of Missouri employers.
- Affordable tuition. A nonprofit university, WGU Missouri's tuition is very affordable, comparing very favorably to other colleges and universities. Tuition is charged at a flat rate for six-month terms.
- Flexible online degree program. At WGU Missouri, you will leverage the power of online learning to make your program as flexible as possible. You'll be able to balance work and family obligations while you complete your studies. And, we’ll never hold you back—if you have the time to devote to your studies, you can accelerate, finishing sooner and saving tuition costs.
Accreditation and Recognition
WGU is regionally, NCATE, and CCNE* accredited. WGU is also a USDLA 21st Century Distance Learning Award recipient for its leadership in distance education.
*The bachelor's and master's degree programs at WGU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, 202-887-6791).Read More
Student and Grad Success
Through competency-based learning, WGU Missouri grads earn a degree that represents proven knowledge. Because they finish their programs having become truly competent in the skills and subjects employers value most, WGU Missouri graduates are ready to excel in their careers. It's why WGU grads get jobs that more than pay for their education in just a few years.Read More on Our National Site
A Proven Academic Model from a Nationally Recognized University, Customized for Missouri
WGU Missouri is the state’s only competency-based, online university, leveraging an innovative approach to education pioneered by our parent institution, Western Governors University (WGU). Western Governors University was founded in 1997 by 19 U.S. governors.
As part of a partnership with the state of Missouri, Western Governors University provides the curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services for WGU Missouri.
WGU Missouri offers:
- Competency-based education model that measures learning, not credit hours. WGU Missouri uses WGU's unique competency-based approach to education. You'll advance in your degree program by demonstrating essential skills and knowledge in your chosen field.
- Superior learning resources. You'll have 24/7 access to all of WGU's courses of study, online learning modules, electronic textbooks, web-based tutorials, and simulations as you work to complete your program.
- Affordable flat-rate tuition. At WGU Missouri, you pay tuition at a flat rate—you aren’t charged by course or credit hour. WGU Missouri operates on six-month terms that can begin on the first of any month. Your own commitment and effort determine how much you can complete during each six-month term, which may allow you to shorten your time to completion. So, by working harder and applying your prior education and experience, you can finish faster and save money.
- Full accreditation. WGU Missouri degrees are granted under the current accreditation of Western Governors University, which is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Teachers college programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and Nursing bachelor’s and master’s programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, 202-887-6791).
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. Online doesn't mean alone at WGU Missouri. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your personal point of contact and your guide throughout your degree. You'll find that you'll actually receive greater support from your mentor than you ever did in a traditional university setting.
- An online community for Missouri students and access to WGU's national student community. You'll also be able to take advantage of WGU's student community and interact with students both within Missouri and from all over the country and abroad.
- The University of You. At WGU Missouri, we believe everyone has the right to earn a college degree. And we believe the path to that degree should be accessible, flexible and affordable. We believe life experience should count for something, independent learning should be celebrated, and focus and determination rewarded. We believe in you. Read more about The University of You.
A State-Approved University on a Mission
WGU Missouri was established in 2013 with a mission to help Missouri residents complete high quality bachelor’s and master’s degrees affordably and without disrupting their lives. When Western Governors University was established in 1997, the founding governors realized that technology, the Internet, and a new model of competency-based education could transform higher education by creating new opportunities for students who, because of jobs, family, or geography, do not have access to more traditional colleges and universities.
The mission of WGU Missouri is to expand access to affordable higher education for Missouri residents through online, competency-based degree programs that address key workforce needs.
"Our partnership with WGU enables our employees to advance their education affordably without interrupting their careers." John Steele,
Senior Vice President of Human Resources at Hospital Corporation of America
About WGU Missouri’s Faculty
Student learning is the primary focus of the faculty at WGU Missouri and the parent institution Western Governors University. Because of our unique student-centric, competency-based approach, faculty serve in different roles compared to traditional schools and other online schools. Read more.Request More Information